By Kirk Ormand
- First number of its variety to supply introductory essays to the fragments of his misplaced performs and to the rest fragments of 1 satyr-play, the Ichneutae, as well as each one of his extant tragedies
- Features new essays on Sophoclean drama that cross well past the present nation of scholarship on Sophocles
- Presents readings that historicize Sophocles on the subject of the social, cultural, and highbrow global of 5th century Athens
- Seeks to put later interpretations and diversifications of Sophocles of their historic context
- Includes essays devoted to problems with gender and sexuality; major moments within the historical past of analyzing Sophocles; and reception of Sophocles through either historic and smooth playwrights
Read Online or Download A Companion to Sophocles (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
The version of Poesy is without doubt one of the most fun literary discoveries of modern years. A manuscript treatise on poetics written by means of William Scott in 1599, on the finish of the main innovative decade in English literary heritage, it contains wealthy discussions of the works of Sidney, Spenser, Shakespeare and their contemporaries.
By way of the early heart a long time vernacular aristocratic traditions of heroic narration have been firmly proven in Western and northern Europe. even supposing there are nearby, linguistic and formal transformations, you could become aware of a couple of similarities. Oral literature disseminates quite a number topics which are shared by means of narratives in so much components of the continent.
Exploring medieval literary representations of the Islamic conquest of Spain in 711, Hazbun discusses chronicles, epic and clerical poetry, and early ancient novels. whereas fabric at the conquest of Spain is massive, it's understudied and this booklet works to fill that gap.
This assortment offers a scientific survey of the large readership the works of Godfrey of Viterbo loved within the overdue heart a long time. within the final years of the 12th century this chronicler and imperial notary wrote a sequence of old collections that won huge and lasting acceptance: among the 13th and 15th centuries, his works have been copied in problematic manuscripts in just about all of Latin Europe.
- Madness Unchained: A Reading of Virgil's Aeneid
- Medieval Autographies: The "I" of the Text (The Conway Lectures in Medieval Studies)
- Envisioning the Tale of Genji: Media, Gender, and Cultural Production
- The Generals of the Yang Family
- Reading Dante: The Pursuit of Meaning
- Vision and Audience in Medieval Drama: A Study of The Castle of Perseverance (The New Middle Ages)
Additional info for A Companion to Sophocles (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Sophocles (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Kirk Ormand