By Robert D. Fulk,Christopher M. Cain
- Introduces outdated English texts and considers their relation to Anglo-Saxon culture.
- Responds to renewed emphasis on old and cultural contexts within the box of medieval studies.
- Treats almost the full diversity of textual forms preserved in previous English.
- Considers the construction, reception and makes use of of outdated English texts.
- Integrates the Anglo-Latin backgrounds the most important to figuring out previous English literature.
- Offers very vast bibliographical guidance.
- Demonstrates that Anglo-Saxon reports is uniquely put to give a contribution to present literary debates.
Read or Download A History of Old English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
The version of Poesy is likely one of the most enjoyable literary discoveries of contemporary years. A manuscript treatise on poetics written by means of William Scott in 1599, on the finish of the main innovative decade in English literary background, it comprises wealthy discussions of the works of Sidney, Spenser, Shakespeare and their contemporaries.
Via the early center a long time vernacular aristocratic traditions of heroic narration have been firmly confirmed in Western and northerly Europe. even supposing there are neighborhood, linguistic and formal ameliorations, possible discover a couple of similarities. Oral literature disseminates quite a number issues which are shared by way of narratives in so much elements of the continent.
Exploring medieval literary representations of the Islamic conquest of Spain in 711, Hazbun discusses chronicles, epic and clerical poetry, and early ancient novels. whereas fabric at the conquest of Spain is giant, it's understudied and this publication works to fill that gap.
This assortment offers a scientific survey of the large readership the works of Godfrey of Viterbo loved within the past due center a while. within the final years of the 12th century this chronicler and imperial notary wrote a chain of old collections that won significant and lasting acceptance: among the 13th and 15th centuries, his works have been copied in complicated manuscripts in just about all of Latin Europe.
- Skaldic Verse and the Poetics of Saga Narrative
- Crossroads in the Black Aegean: Oedipus, Antigone, and Dramas of the African Diaspora (Classical Presences)
- Literary History and the Challenge of Philology: The Legacy of Erich Auerbach (Figurae: Reading Medieval Culture)
- The Other Virgil: `Pessimistic' Readings of the Aeneid in Early Modern Culture (Classical Presences)
- Die Klage (Altdeutsche Textbibliothek) (German Edition)
- The Antiatticist: Introduction and Critical Edition (Sammlung griechischer und lateinischer Grammatiker)
Additional info for A History of Old English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature)
A History of Old English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature) by Robert D. Fulk,Christopher M. Cain